PEORIA, Ariz. — A family has been displaced after a Christmas tree caught fire in a Peoria home early Tuesday morning.

Officials said an 11-year-old and 7-year-old noticed that the tree had ignited while adults were sleeping in the home near 91st Avenue and Northern. The 11-year-old girl ran through the house and alerted the family, authorities said.

The family was all able to escape through the rear of the house and three dogs were also rescued. 

Fire officials said one resident reported a minor injury and did not need transport to the hospital. No firefighters injured.

Here are a few pro tips compliments of the Peoria Fire Department to make sure your tree doesn’t go up in flames: 

  • Put LED lights on the tree
  • Get rid of it after Christmas time
  • Keep water in the tray below and if the pine needles are falling off the tree it do not turn your lights on.

IN OTHER NEWS: Petition for Desert Vista Basketball Coach to keep job takes off

MORE: Wood burning banned in the Phoenix area on New Year's Eve