PHOENIX — Phoenix hit the 100-degree mark for the first time in 2022 on Saturday. It's an annual milestone that signals an unofficial end to cooler temperatures and a preview for the hot summer months ahead.
But does it feel like the triple digits arrived a little late this year? I mean, it's already May and we're just now hitting triple digits?
According to the National Weather Service, the hotter temps are a little behind schedule, but only by a few days. The NWS said the average first 100-degree day in Phoenix is May 2. This is the latest first 100+ day since May 21. 2010.
So you could say the triple digits are pretty much on time.
To help celebrate the warm weather milestone, here are a few other 100-degree fast facts from the NWS:
- Average first 100° day: May 2 (most recent data); May 12 (all-time)
- Earliest first 100° day: March 26 (1988)
- Latest first 100° day: June 18 (1913)
- Average last 100° day: Oct. 5 (most recent data); September 29 (all-time)
- Earliest last 100° day: Sept. 2 (1904)
- Latest last 100° day: Oct. 27, 2016
- Average number of 100°+ days per year: 111 (most recent); 93 (all-time)
- Fewest number of 100°+ days: 48 (1913)
- Greatest number of 100°+ days: 145 (2020)
- Longest stretch of 100°+ days: 76 (June 10, 1993 - Aug. 24, 1993)
We will have to wait and see if the hotter weather is here to stay for the rest of the year. For now, go ahead and enjoy the relatively cool weather now before summer officially hits.
12 News on YouTube
Arizona has seen its fair share of severe weather. Here is a compilation of videos from various storms across the Grand Canyon state.
Get to know 12 News
At 12 News, we listen, we seek, we solve for all Arizonans. 12 News is the Phoenix NBC affiliate owned by TEGNA Inc.
At 12 News, It’s a Matter of Facts. Built on a legacy of trust, 12 News serves more than 4.6 million people every month on air, on our 12 News app, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and 12News.com.
We are committed to hyper-locally serving all of our communities. We advocate for our neighbors, affect positive change, and connect our broader community to solutions.
12 News is the Official Home of the Arizona Cardinals and the proud recipient of the 2018 Rocky Mountain Emmy Award for Overall Excellence.
Stay connected by downloading the 12 News app, available on Google Play and the Apple Store, and by signing up for our daily newsletter. Catch up on any stories you missed on the show on the 12 News Youtube channel. Read content curated for our Spanish-speaking audience on the Español page.