GLENDALE, Ariz. — Thursday's overnight storms across the Valley may have resulted in a roof partially collapsing inside a Bashas' store in Peoria.
No injuries were reported at the grocery store near 75th Avenue and Thunderbird Road after parts of the roof fell through and caused extensive damage, according to the Peoria Fire Department.
Firefighters believe the roof collapse was likely caused by the storms experienced throughout the Valley early Thursday morning, but the incident is still under investigation.
The grocery store will be closed indefinitely according to Ashley Shick, Basha's Director of Communications.
Peoria resident Linda Small was on her way to drop her kids off at school. She wanted to run into the Basha's to get a couple of groceries when she saw the entire parking lot taped off. "Oh my gosh, the storm was awful," Small said. "Overnight, it was probably the most rain we’ve seen in a really long time."
Bashas' announced earlier this summer it was going to close this location on Sept. 17.
"We’re at a juncture with the store’s lease, and it is customary at such times for us to evaluate a store’s past performance as well as its anticipated future performance," the company wrote in a statement. "Based on this evaluation, we have come to the decision, regretfully, to close this location."
VERSIÓN EN ESPAÑOL: El techo de un supermercado en Peoria colapsó después de las tormentas nocturnas
Up to Speed
Catch up on the latest news and stories on our 12 News YouTube playlist here.
The Arizona Fire & Medical Authority has provided the following tips on what hazards to watch out for during and after a flood, including fire, electrical and chemical safety:
Generators and alternative heating devices can create fire hazards during flooding if they aren’t used correctly or maintained properly. Pools of water and appliances can become electrically charged and can cause electrical fires.
On electricity, residents in flooded areas should turn off the power to their homes if they can reach the main breaker or fuse box. All wiring in the house may be electrically charged and hazardous. Residents should have a professional technician check their home for damages before turning on the power.
Make sure potentially combustible liquids like paint thinner, lighter fluid or gasoline haven’t spilled within or near your home. Keep combustible liquids away from electrical or alternative heat sources as to not start a fire.
All smoke alarms in the home should be tested monthly and batteries should be replaced yearly. Some smoke alarms are dependent on your home’s electrical service and may go out when power is turned off.
Make sure the fire hydrant near your home is cleared of debris so the fire department can assess it easily in the event of a fire.