According to ADOT here’s what you need to know for Labor Day Weekend.
Commuters won't deal with any new major freeway closures this weekend. However, expect heavy traffic as people are heading out of town for the holiday.
REAL-TIME TRAFFIC: https://12ne.ws/2Il2Fzr
ADOT says to expect long delays on I-17 northbound north of Phoenix. Traffic-flow maps are showing slow speeds in areas roughly between State Route 74 in north Phoenix and the Sunset Point Rest Area on Saturday morning.
Travelers should allow for extra travel time, delay travel or consider alternate routes to northern Arizona including through Payson on state routes 87 and 260.
Southbound lanes are unaffected as of 11 a.m. Saturday.
According to ADOT, last year nine people were killed in eight fatal crashes on Arizona roadways, including local streets, over Labor Day weekend. Four of those fatal crashes involved alcohol.
Here some safety driving tips for the holiday weekend.
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, engine belts, fluids and windshield wipers
- Avoid distractions like your cell phone while driving
- Get plenty of rest before heading out – drowsy driving is a serious safety hazard
- Be patient – obey speed limits and avoid unsafe passing or following other vehicles too closely
- Buckle up and never drive while impaired
- Pack an emergency kit including, extra drinking water, snack foods and emergency items such as a flashlight, medicines and fully charged cell phone.
That’s it for now, enjoy the weekend and thank you for visiting 12 news.com!