PHOENIX — Super Bowl XVII will take place in Arizona in 2023 and if you are excited and would like to be part of the big event as a volunteer, Phoenix offers that opportunity. It’s also a chance to make it the “Greenest Super Bowl” so far.
The City of Phoenix is looking for 400 volunteers to participate in events downtown from February 4-12.
The Zero Waste program in place in Phoenix will be implemented in the big game events with the purpose to make this the “Greenest Super Bowl” yet. The goal is to keep 92% of the waste from the landfill, according to the City’s press release.
“With 2,000 tons of waste expected to come from Super Bowl events, we need Zero Waste Ambassadors to help make sure food waste gets composted and recyclables get recycled,” said Zero Waste Coordinator Alexis Yaple. “They will be the first line of defense, so to speak, as they prevent as much waste as possible from going to the landfill.”
>> VERSIÓN EN ESPAÑOL: Phoenix necesita voluntarios para actividades antes del Super Bowl
The volunteers will be the Zero Waste Ambassadors who will be stationed nearby trash and recycle containers in the downtown area in Phoenix and their duties will include:
- Educating attendees about what is recyclable and compostable
- Ensuring attendees place items in the correct container
- Monitoring containers and reporting fill levels to Public Works staff
- Reporting littering or other issues to Public Works staff
- Conducting any other pertinent duties to ensure the event reaches its zero waste goal