PHOENIX — Baseball fans survived the 99-day lockout and now that wait will payoff as Opening Day 2022 begins Thursday across the league.
Here in Phoenix, the Arizona Diamondbacks are set for their 6:40 p.m. matchup against the San Diego Padres at Chase Field.
Following the second-worst finish in franchise history with 110 losses, the Diamondbacks are eyeing growth in 2022.
For the third-straight season, the D-backs will tap Madison Bumgarner as their Opening Day pitcher, starting his 8th Opening Day in his career.
Gates are set to open at 4:30 p.m. and fans should be in their seats by 6 p.m. for Opening Day festivities including a Luke Air Force Base flyover and opening ceremony.
Tickets can be purchased for Opening Day and the rest of the series online, by calling 602-514-8400 or at the Chase Field box office.
Fans can also watch the broadcast on Bally Sports Arizona or listen with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM or TUDN 105.1 FM for Spanish speakers.
The four-game opening series will last through Sunday before welcoming the Houston Astros on April 12-13.
For a look at the full 2022 regular season schedule visit the Diamondbacks website.
Nationally recognized Chef Stephen Tilder has developed signature items throughout the Levy concessions:
- Taste of Chase: Buffalo Chicken Sidewinders
- Copper State Steaks: Cowboy Steak & Barbecue Brisket Dip w/ Fries
- Big Dawgs: Home Team Favorite Dog
- Burger Burger: Hatch Valley Whiskey Burger
- Gonzo’s Grill: Flamin’ Hot Chicken Wrap
- Rally-backs with fan giveaways
- Legends Racers
- Hot dog derby
- Special All-You-Can-Eat-Seats sections
- Bullpen carts
- Kids Run the Bases after Sunday home games.
- First pitch: A father of three and beloved valley teacher who survived a COVID-19 related double-lung transplant, Bob Horbaczewski will throw out the ceremonial first pitch Thursday night. Bob will be accompanied by his doctor, Dr. Bhuvin Buddhdev, a pulmonary and critical care physician at the Norton Thoracic Institute, Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center. Dr. Buddhdev was one of the two surgeons who completed Horbaczewski’s life-saving transplant and will share in the first-pitch moment.
- Anthem: The national anthem will be performed by professional military vocalist Tech Sgt Lisa Cimino, assigned to the Goldwater Air National Guard Base in Phoenix.
- Color Guard: The Luke Air Force Base Honor Guard will present the colors for the National Anthem.
- Flyover: Luke Air Force Base - Unit: 944th Fighter Wing - Aircraft: 4 x F-35.
The city of Phoenix is home to five major professional sports league teams; The NFL's Arizona Cardinals, NBA's Phoenix Suns, WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury, MLB's Arizona Diamondbacks and NHL's Arizona Coyotes.
The Cardinals have made the State Farm Stadium in Glendale their home turf and the Footprint Center in downtown Phoenix is home to both the Suns and the Mercury. The Indoor Football League’s Arizona Rattlers also play at the Footprint. Phoenix has a soccer team with the USL's Phoenix Rising FC.
The Valley hosts multiple major sporting events on a yearly basis, including college football's Fiesta Bowl and Cactus Bowl; the PGA Tour’s highest-attended event, the Waste Management Phoenix Open; NASCAR events each spring and fall; and Cactus League Spring Training.