ARIZONA, USA — If you're unvaccinated and a high school athlete, you better have your own ball.
The Arizona Interscholastic Association released its new COVID-19 guidelines Monday. They encourage student-athletes to be vaccinated if eligible. If not, the AIA encourages athletes to have their own equipment.
The 14-page guidance covers a lot of ground: how facilities should be cleaned, when and how athletes should quarantine and when and how institutions should suspend or discontinue competition.
- A student's vaccination status and proof of vaccination should be included in their pre-participation physical paperwork.
- Schools should limit non-essential visitors, especially those who are unvaccinated.
- Work with local health departments to draft letters to distribute to close contacts of those who test positive for COVID-19, when appropriate.
- Practice outdoors when possible.
- Athletes who have tested positive don't return to practice until they meet the CDC's criteria for home isolation and are cleared by a physician and athletic training staff.
12 News on YouTube