Breaking News
More () »

More details on the officers involved in the tasing of a man almost a dozen times

12 News obtained new personnel records on the third officer involved in the 2017 tasing of Johnny Wheatcroft.

PHOENIX — July 26, 2017, Officer Matt Schneider gets out of his police vehicle after stopping a car.

The stop would gain national attention, as officers Matt Schneider, Mark Lindsey and Michael Fernandez tased johnny Wheatcroft almost a dozen times. 

RELATED: 'That’s not what they are trained to do': Law enforcement experts review Glendale tasing video

12 News already reported on Officer Matt Schnieder's personnel file, which shows multiple disciplinary actions. 

Officer Schneider was suspended for just one use of his stun gun on suspect Johnny Wheatcroft from the now-infamous traffic stop. He was also given a letter of reprimand for workplace harassment against a female coworker. 

Other disciplinary actions against Schneider include when he accidentally cut a fellow officers hand while playing with a knife, after a fellow officer told him to stop. Schneider was also disciplined for destroying a suspect's property that should have been provided back to the suspect. 

The second officer involved that day was Officer Mark Lindsey. Mark's personnel file is full of compliments, discussing how he provides some of the best customer service on the force. 

The single issue on his file is losing a department cellphone.

Officer Lindsey was put out of commission during the 2017 traffic stop after Wheatcroft's wife hit him in the head with a bag of plastic bottles and cans. 

Officer Michael Fernandez arrived on the scene during the traffic stop. He was responsible for handcuffing and restraining Johnny Wheatcroft. His file is the longest of all three officers, in part because he has faced the most disciplinary issues. 

Officer Fernandez was suspended for his actions twice.

The first time, according to documents,  for unlawfully detaining a man, using improper force and unlawful search and seizure. 

Officer Fernandez arrived at a dispute where a woman claimed her boyfriend forced her to be removed from a leasing agreement and was demanding to be let back in the apartment to get her items. 

The boyfriend said he talked with another officer earlier in the day and said he did not need to go near his girlfriend. The boyfriend refused to go near the officer when asked, so officer Michael Fernandez handcuffed him. 

When the boyfriend asked why he was being handcuffed, Officer Fernandez allegedly responded: "I can do whatever I want." 

According to police documents, witnesses of the incident said the boyfriend did not act aggressive towards Officer Fernandez and was being cooperative. Once the officer realized it was a civil matter, Officer Fernandez should have removed the handcuffs, according to police documents. 

The report said Officer Fernandez then reached into the boyfriend's pocket and removed his apartment key. Since the boyfriend was not under arrest, this constituted an illegal search and seizure. 

Officer Fernandez was suspended a second time in 2014, this time for failing to conduct a "thorough investigation and complete a criminal offense report."

Officer Fernandez received three memos of corrections in addition to the suspensions. 

According to police documents, Officer Fernandez confronted a neighbor while off duty but wearing his department badge and weapon. 

Two unrestrained dogs were near his home. The documents state they were "German shepherd type dogs." 

According to the report, Officer Fernandez proceeded to drive to the owner's house and tell the neighbor, "you were not there for conversation but to tell him to keep the dogs in," that the owner "needed to keep the dogs contained" and that, "he needed to keep the dogs locked up or you would make sure he got cited."

Police documents state Fernandez used poor judgment. 

A second memo of correction was issued against officer Fernandez for not properly following police procedure for starting a pursuit of a vehicle. 

A third memo of correction was issued after two incidents. According to police documents, officer Fernandez responded to a complaint of a noise disturbance at a vehicle repair shop. 

Employees explained to the officer they were being prepared for ship out of the country. 

Fearing that the business was a "chop shop," police documents say Fernandez searched the vehicles VIN numbers to see if they were stolen without getting consent, according to police documents. 

Police documents stated officer Fernandez needed probable cause to go check the vehicles in the trailer, which the officer did not articulate. 

A second investigation included in this memo of correction involved the unlawful detention. 

The report states Officer Fernandez believed he witnessed a hand-to-hand drug deal involving two subjects who were in the vehicle. 

Police documents state officer Fernandez maintained a patronizing manner with those he stopped. 

The officer then asked for a K-9 officer for a "free-air sniff." When the K-9 officer responded, he stated he found no reasonable suspicion to detain those stopped. 

Before You Leave, Check This Out