TEMPE, Ariz. — The Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department is investigating a massive fire at a popular Tempe neighborhood bar Doc and Eddy's. 

The fire that began in the early hours of Sunday morning left extensive damage to the bar's building. Officials say it is a "total loss."

According to a spokesperson with the fire department, everyone in the bar was able to safely exit before firefighters got to the scene around 5:30 a.m. Sunday. 

Crews were pulled out from inside the bar because of the heavy fire conditions. The firefighters continued to work on the fire from outside. By 9:30 a.m., the bulk of the fire had been extinguished but a fire department spokesperson says there continued to be smoldering areas present up until midnight. 

According to the fire department, the building did not have a sprinkler system in it due to the time it was built and the fire code it was built under. Officials say there would have been significantly less damage if there were sprinklers. 

The fire department said improperly disposed of smoking material in the office likely caused the fire. 

Doc and Eddy's is located near Baseline and Rural roads. The bar was popular among neighborhood residents and has been named best sports bar and best neighborhood bar in Tempe by the Pheonix New Times in the past. 

Have a Doc and Eddy's story? We want to hear it! Email us at connect@12news.com.

Doc & Eddy's fire on 3-17-19
Fire at Doc and Eddy's on March 17, 2019.
Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department