x
Breaking News
More () »

More than 100 animals lost in barn fire in Laveen

Officials say that while no injuries were reported, smoke and flames stopped them from taking count of the animals that were killed in the fire.

PHOENIX — The Phoenix Fire Department battled a blaze at a barn on Saturday that has left more than 100 animals dead. 

After responding to a call for a structure fire on Fremont Road near 67th Avenue and West Baseline Road in Laveen, firefighters found heavy flames pouring from a barn.

RELATED: Suspects facing charges in Railroad Fire south of Lowell Observatory

Officials say that no other injuries were reported, but indicated that a number of animals in the barn were killed. Heavy smoke and flames prevented first responders from obtaining an accurate count.

The woman who owns the property told 12 News her mother went out to feed the animals and minutes later a fire broke out. 

Two structures storing farm equipment, a carport and two cars were also damaged in the fire, the woman said.

The woman and her family were able to make it out safely but were unable to save 60 chickens, 40 goats and sheep, and two dogs. 

A few animals survived, including a pig, pony, cows and a bull.

Officials say that the Department of Agriculture, AZ Humane Society, AZ State Vet, and AZ Exotic Animals have all been contacted for aid.

EN ESPAÑOL: Incendio en una granja en Laveen deja más de 100 animales muertos

Home Fire Prevention:

The Arizona Fire & Medical Authority has released tips on how to prevent fires from starting in your home. 

More than 4,000 Americans die each year in fires and approximately 25,000 are injured,” the authority said on its website. “An overwhelming number of fires occur in the home.” 

First off, the authority says that every house needs to have at least one working smoke alarm. Every level of the home and every sleeping area should have a working smoke alarm inside of it to offer the best protection. 

Appliances should also be used in a way that manufacturers recommend, since overheating, shorts and sparks can all lead to a fire breaking out. 

Lastly, families should have an escape plan from every room of the house. 

“Caution everyone to stay low to the floor when escaping from fire and never to open doors that are hot,” the authority said. “Select a location where everyone can meet after escaping the house. Get out then call for help.” 

The authority offers free home safety inspections. Schedule one with them by calling 623-544-5400. 

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out