PHOENIX — Two bartenders at a Phoenix restaurant were rushed to the hospital on Sunday after the making of a flaming novelty drink went wrong.
First responders rushed to SALT Tacos y Tequila after two female bartenders were seriously burned. That restaurant is in a shopping center in north Phoenix near Happy Valley Road and Norterra Parkway.
The 19-year-old and 25-year-old burn victims suffered first and second-degree burns to their upper bodies after firefighters say the two were making the drinks.
Their identities haven’t been shared by authorities. Firefighters only said they were taken to a local burn center but didn’t say their conditions.
It’s unknown how exactly things went wrong.
This is a developing story. Stay with 12 News for the latest updates.
Up to Speed
Catch up on the latest news and stories on the 12 News YouTube channel. Subscribe today.
Home Fire Prevention:
The Arizona Fire & Medical Authority has released tips on how to prevent fires from starting in your home.
“More than 4,000 Americans die each year in fires and approximately 25,000 are injured,” the authority said on its website. “An overwhelming number of fires occur in the home.”
First off, the authority says that every house needs to have at least one working smoke alarm. Every level of the home and every sleeping area should have a working smoke alarm inside of it to offer the best protection.
Appliances should also be used in a way that manufacturers recommend, since overheating, shorts and sparks can all lead to a fire breaking out.
Lastly, families should have an escape plan from every room of the house.
“Caution everyone to stay low to the floor when escaping from fire and never to open doors that are hot,” the authority said. “Select a location where everyone can meet after escaping the house. Get out then call for help.”
The authority offers free home safety inspections. Schedule one with them by calling 623-544-5400.