PHOENIX — One person is dead and another injured after a two-vehicle collision in South Phoenix on Friday.
The Phoenix Fire Department said a van and sedan were involved in a crash at about 11:30 a.m. near 16th Street and Riverview Drive.
One woman died at the scene and an injured man was taken to the hospital, Phoenix fire said.
Authorities said access to 16th Street may be restricted between University Drive and Elwood Street as crews process the scene of the crash.
This is a developing story and updates will be published as they become available.
Up to Speed
Catch up on the latest news and stories on the 12 News YouTube channel. Subscribe today.
Driving Safety Tips:
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) offers driving tips to help keep people safe on the road.
"There’s always room for improvement when it comes to road safety," the department said on its website.
ADOT's suggestions include:
· Don’t speed or drive aggressively
· Never drive while under the influence of substances
· Avoid distractions while driving
· Wear your seatbelt and make sure all passengers are doing the same
· When an emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, move over
· Stay extra aware in work zones
· Be prepared for weather conditions that make driving dangerous Find more tips on the department's Driving Safety Homepage on ADOT's website here.
"Real-time highway conditions are available on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov, by calling 511, downloading the AZ 511 app and through ADOT’s Twitter feed, @ArizonaDOT," the department said.
Deaths on Arizona roadways:
Data from the Arizona Department of Transportation shows that roadway fatalities have been gradually rising in Arizona over the last decade:
· 2011: 825 deaths
· 2012: 821 deaths
· 2013: 844 deaths
· 2014: 774 deaths
· 2015: 895 deaths
· 2016: 952 deaths
· 2017: 1,000 deaths
· 2018: 1,010 deaths
· 2019: 982 deaths
· 2020: 1,057 death