CLEVELAND -- Police have Alan Bethea, 45, in custody after he argued with fellow poll workers at the Louisa May Alcott School and then pulled out a gun.

Police say he was charged with aggravated menacing, carrying a concealed weapon, having weapons under disability, drug abuse marijuana and gun confiscation.

Police were called to 10308 Baltic Road at Louisa May Alcott School for a man with a gun about noon Tuesday.

Police arrived and spoke to the poll workers, who said the man was also a poll worker. Poll workers said he became involved in a verbal argument with other workers and then produced a .380 from a backpack.

Police say he did not point the weapon directly at anyone but verbally threatened them. He then walked out of the school and was arrested a short time later at West 107th Street and Detroit Avenue without incident.

The weapon and a small amount of marijuana were found in his backpack. He is now in jail.

The Cuyahoga County Board of Elections released a statement just after 2 p.m. Tuesday:

"The Board of Elections has terminated an Election Day worker who was allegedly involved in an argument with a fellow poll worker today. The Board does not tolerate this type of behavior.

The incident concluded almost immediately with the arrest of Bethea who allegedly displayed a weapon which led to his arrest. The Board is assisting the Cleveland Police Department in their investigation and voting was not interrupted by the incident.

Further questions about the incident are being directed to the Cleveland Police Department."

The Cleveland Metropolitan School District also released a statement:

An incident that took place at the county's polling station at Louisa May Alcott School was handled by election officials and referred to the Cleveland Police Department. We were assured by both the Board of Elections and safety officials that the incident posed no danger to students and staff at our school.

Polling locations at CMSD schools are separate and cordoned off from areas occupied by staff and students on election day and even have their own entrance.

After learning of the incident at the polling station this morning, we used our digital messaging system to inform parents and assure them that students were safe and not affected in any way by police activity in the area