PHOENIX — A man was shot and killed by police in Ahwatukee after officers responded to a call about a fight late Thursday.
The Phoenix Police Department said officers responded to the complex when a neighbor called about yelling in an apartment near Desert Foothills Parkway and Chandler Boulevard.
It turned out to be a domestic violence altercation, police said.
Officers responded and a man opened the door and moved toward one of the officers armed with a gun, police said.
The other officer shot the man, who died at the scene. He was later identified as 40-year-old Ryan Whitaker.
No one else was injured.
The officers involved were a 53-year-old who is a 23-year veteran of the force and a 33-year-old who has been with Phoenix Police for two years, police said.
Police said an internal and criminal investigation is underway.
If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, you can call the National Domestic Violence hotline anytime, 24/7 at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or if you are unable to speak safely, text LOVEIS to 22522.
If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, here are some resources available to you. Keep in mind your computer use or call history may be monitored. You may want to use a trusted friend's computer or a computer at a public library to navigate the sites below.
Once it's safe to do so, follow the links to learn more.
- Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence: azcadv.org
Their helpline is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 602-279-2900 or 800-782-6400
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
- How to get a protection order in Maricopa County if you're a survivor of domestic violence: azlawhelp.org
- Here are the rules for obtaining a protection order in Arizona
- Find legal advocacy, emergency shelter and housing intervention services in Arizona for survivors of domestic violence: des.az.gov
- Where to take your pets if you are entering a domestic violence shelter: Arizona Humane Society Project Safehouse
Call 911 if you are in danger.