CHANDLER, Ariz. — A driver going the wrong way up Loop 202 crashed into an Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) trooper's vehicle early Monday morning.
Early reports indicate the driver, who has yet to be identified, started going the wrong way on SR 101 around mile-marker 60, DPS said. They drove northbound in the southbound lane until crashing into the trooper around Loop 202 at Arizona Avenue.
The trooper and the driver have since been transported to a local hospital.
Eastbound lanes were temporarily closed as the crash was cleaned up, but have since reopened.
Authorities have yet to release the following information:
- Identity of the driver
- Identity of the trooper
- Whether impairment was involved
Up to Speed
Catch up on the latest news and stories on our 12 News YouTube playlist here.
Driving Safety Tips:
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) offers driving tips to help keep people safe on the road.
"There’s always room for improvement when it comes to road safety," the department said on its website.
ADOT's suggestions include:
- Don’t speed or drive aggressively
- · Never drive while under the influence of substances
- Avoid distractions while driving
- Wear your seatbelt and make sure all passengers are doing the same
- When an emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, move over
- Stay extra aware in work zones
- Be prepared for weather conditions that make driving dangerous