County Attorney to review Phoenix police shooting

The family of Francisco Valdez released information about the confrontation Francisco had with police that lead to his death.

New police documents reveal conflicting information surrounding how a recent deadly officer-involved shooting in Phoenix really went down. The documents come as the man’s mother demands justice.

It’s clear in this case an intense sequence of events lead up to Francisco Valdez’s death.

Phoenix police have been investigating the deadly officer-involved shooting at a mobile home park that occurred March 23 near 65th Avenue and Van Buren for three months.

That night, Valdez’ mother called 911 reporting her 24-year-old son was under the influence of drugs and acting aggressively.

RELATED: Family says officers shot 24-year-old man in the back

The responding officers claim Valdez ran at them with a knife in the trailer, so they opened fire, killing him.

Valdez had a warrant out for his arrest due to a parole violation. A new police report raises questions about what really happened.

While police tell 12 News Valdez came at officers with a knife, Francisco’s mother, Lorenza Valdez, claims she called police because he son was desperate and not well. She hoped police would help make sure he didn’t hurt himself.

When police got there, Valdez’ mother says she told officers there had been a lapse in her son’s medication. She claims police ended his life, shooting her unarmed son four times in the back, devastating his family.

The officers at the scene did not have body cameras on them since the department hadn’t issued them before the incident.

The Phoenix Police Department tells 12 News it has forwarded the report to the County Attorney for review.

© 2017 KPNX-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment