More than 1,000 firefighters are working to keep the Highline Fire from burning buildings north of Payson. Five of them were hospitalized with heat-related illnesses Friday.
As of Friday evening, the fire has burned 4,929 acres, according to infrared data. It's 35 percent contained.
La Cienega and Ellison Creek Estates remain under evacuation orders, which began Thursday evening. Those evacuated may not return to their homes until authorities have given the all-clear.
Payson High School has been designated as a Red Cross shelter. It's located at 301 S. McLane Road in Payson.
All animals are welcome at the Gila County Fairgrounds Event Center at 900 E Fairgrounds Road in Globe.
There are also road blocks in the area:
• 300 Rd. at the Apache Sitgreaves National Forest
• 300 Rd. at the junction of FS 123 Rd.
• FS 64 Rd. at the junction of FS 32 Rd.
• FS 64 Rd. at the junction of SR 260
• FS 64 Rd. at the junction of FS 1190 Rd.
• FS 289A Rd. at the junction of SR 260
• FS 95 Rd. at the junction of FS 751B Rd.
• Blue Ridge Rd.
There will be another meeting to update the community on the fire Saturday night.
© 2017 KPNX-TV