Landlord-tenant issues? Call 12 for Action

Call 12 for Action- Landlord & tenant answers

High call volume: Please note that as of 5 p.m. on Tuesday, we're getting a very high volume of calls, and some are not getting through. Please be patient as we field all the questions we can and take calls in the order in which they're received. Don't forget our

This afternoon is your chance to get all your landlord and tenant questions answered, thanks to 12 News and the State Bar of Arizona.

We know it's about to get scorching hot in the Valley and some of the most popular questions from tenants are, "What do I do if my air conditioning doesn't work? Do I still have to pay rent? Can I break my lease?"

You can get those questions and many more dealing with landlord-tenant issues answered this afternoon from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Lawyers with the state bar will answer your questions on the phone and online.

When it comes to dealing with landlords and broken air conditioners, Bret Rasner, with Community Legal Services, has three tips to get you through the problem:

1. Tell the landlord about the problem in writing. If you need help doing that, Community Legal Services has paperwork to help.

2. Give the landlord a "reasonable" amount of time to fix the problem. With broken air conditioners in the summer, this could be as long as 72 hours or as short as 24, especially if young children or elderly adults could be in danger.

3. If the landlord still isn't fixing the problem, talk with an attorney. There are a number of ways to move forward, but you have to make sure you follow the state laws. A lawyer will help you navigate them.

And most importantly, do not stop paying your rent.

"Your primary obligation is to pay rent," Rasner said. "And even when there's some sort of habitability issue, that obligation remains."

Call 12 for Action will be taking your questions from 4:30 to 7:00 P.M. today. Give us a call at 602.258.1212 or ask us online on our Facebook page.

More resources to help with landlord-tenant issues:

- Community Legal Services
- Arizona Department of Housing


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment