Memorial Day weekend is one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. If you are one of the many hitting the road, then beyond, we have the scoop on how to get to your destination without a hitch.
Prevention and preparedness are key when traveling. Our friends at AAA have these tips to consider before hitting the road.
1. Get in the habit of conducting periodic safety checks to make sure your vehicle is in good operating condition. A safety check includes tires, lights, belts, hoses, fluids and windshield wipers.
2. Read your owner’s manual to clearly understand which dash lights or signals indicate your vehicle is not operating properly and what to do in such situations.
3. Before a road trip, contact AAA to arrange for a free test of your vehicle’s battery, starting and charging system. This can help determine how much life is left in your battery and if any other components need repairs.
4. Program your cell phone with emergency numbers, including that of your roadside assistance provider, and keep a backup written list in your glove compartment.
5. Always carry a well-stocked emergency kit and familiarize yourself with the use of safety flares, warning triangles and other emergency equipment.
© 2017 KPNX-TV