It's summer time and you're looking for a vacation spot, or a quick weekend escape. Why not cross the border and explore Sonora?

Rocky Point is about a 3.5 hour drive from Phoenix, while San Carlos is about 6 hours. Either city has great beaches and is rich with Mexican culture.

But before you get in your car and head out, here are some things you might be wondering.

Do I need a visa or passport?

Americans do NOT need a visa to visit Mexico, as long as you have a US passport or if you visit Mexico for business or leisure for 180 days or less.

You do, however, need a passport to cross the border. If you don't have one here, here is a link to where you can apply.

I've heard of "Sonora" Mexico, but is it a city or a region?

It's a state, actually, Sonora is the second largest state in Mexico. It's a popular among Arizonans for some of its beach towns such as Rocky Point and San Carlos. Both a short drive away from Phoenix.

Do you need car insurance to drive in Mexico?

Yes. US auto insurance policies are not recognized in Mexico. Only policies from a Mexican insurance company are. Under Mexican law, motorists are required to have insurance or “proof of financial responsibility” in the event of an accident. You can buy Mexican car insurance online.

Can you bring fruits and vegetables with you?

According to the US Customs and Border Protection website you must declare any food products your bringing into the US. If you don't you could be fined up to $10,000. For more information on what you can and can't bring click here.

I have a conceal and carry permit. I can bring my gun to Mexico, right?

Absolutely not. Ammunition and fire arms are not allowed in Mexico. Mexican laws are very strict about this.