Last weekend I went on a hike in cool beautiful San Diego. The temperatures near Cowels Mountain were only in the 80s.

But unfortunately I saw a beautiful German Shepherd collapse. This dog did not make it and it was very tragic.

Family says Hogan, the long-haired German Shepherd died of heat stroke.

Click this Facebook post and share it:

Hats off to Good Samaritans on the mountain that day. One carried the 100-pound dog down and a nurse helped with CPR. Hogan was fine on the way up but back down it was laying on the ground with bloody paws, panting very hard with its tongue hanging out of its mouth.

Imagine how dangerous it can be in the Phoenix heat for your dog while hiking the trails.

MORE: Dogs banned from all Phoenix mountain hiking trails on 100+-degree days

Just a week ago we lost a dog to heat exhaustion in Scottsdale while hiking with its owner. Remember heat exhaustion can hit your dog so fast as a result of warm temperatures and the fur coats these dogs carry every day.

READ: Woman cited for animal cruelty after dog dies on Scottsdale hike

Dogs cool through panting and don't have any other way to release heat. Always be extra careful here in Phoenix.

They can also burn their paws on rocks and concrete. Don't take your dog on hikes when temperatures are above 80 degrees. It's just too dangerous, especially if your dogs are older or have any type of health issues.

Excessive panting and drooling are signs of heat stroke in dogs, experts say. Do not use ice to cool an overheated dog, because it may trap the heat and do more damage.