WINSLOW, Ariz. – In a press conference Friday morning, the Winslow Police Department identified the 3-year-old killed earlier this week as Amaya Miguel.

Police said Sonny Silas took responsibility for her murder while he was questioned Wednesday.

Winslow Police Department Lt. Ken Arend said the little girl was taking a trip to see family, but never returned home.

“Amaya, who was from southern Arizona, was in the Winslow area visiting her grandmother,” Lt. Arend said.

Arend explained Amaya was in the care of her cousin, Angel Castro, Monday night. Silas was Castro’s boyfriend and lived with her in a house behind a vacant home on E. Oak Street.

“Ms. Castro had to leave on a personal emergency leaving Amaya with Mr. Silas,” Arend said.

RELATED: Winslow community shocked after teen arrested in child's death

Tuesday morning, first responders answering a 911 call found Amaya not breathing and tried to bring her back for 40 minutes, but she was declared deceased on scene.

Friday morning, the Navajo County Attorney charged Sonny Silas with one count of second-degree murder.

Autopsy results from the Pima County Medical Examiner showed multiple blunt force trauma to the 3-year-old’s head and body.

“Mr. Silas provided information that was consistent with the injuries to Amaya,” Lt. Arend said.

Detectives said those injuries came from the person who was supposed to be ensuring Amaya’s safety.

After thanking first responders for answering to the call, members of his agency for working “around the clock” on the case and offering his condolences to the child’s family, Chief Dan Brown had a message for parents and guardians.

“I urge every parent or guardian watching this to always be aware of who may be tasked with caring for your child,” Chief Brown said.

In a phone conversation with 12 News Friday afternoon, Amaya’s mother said she was walking her daughter’s body into a church for services.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to help the family with burial expenses.