Recipe and Procedure for Petite Lobster Rolls on Pretzel Buns
Lobster meat, cooked, in 1/2 inch pieces 1 1/4 cups (from 1 1/2 # lobster)
Mayonnaise 2 T
Crème fraiche 2 T
Shallot, minced 1 T
Cornichons, finely chopped 1 T
Celery, finely chopped 2 T
Lemon zest 1/2 t
Kosher salt and pepper To taste
Unsalted butter 1 T
Pretzel buns, sliced almost all the way through 8 each, 2 inch
Yield 8 petite sliders
1. Prepare lobster – if using whole live lobster, twist of claws and tail since they will cook at different rates. Cooking methods include steaming, boiling or roasting the lobster. If just using lobster tails, remove lobster meat from shell, cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces and cook in a little unsalted butter. Cool completely.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the cooked lobster with mayonnaise, crème fraîche, shallot, pickle, celery, and lemon zest. Season with salt and white pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Lightly butter the cut side of each pretzel bun. Heat a large pan over moderate heat. Toast the rolls in the pan, cut side down, until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Transfer the rolls to a work surface. Spoon about 3 T of the lobster mixture on the bottom half of each roll. Close the sliders, spear with a skewer and serve.
1. Lobster mixture can be made one day ahead.
2. Creme Fraiche is not a traditional ingredient but adds a little more tanginess to the mixture.
3. Cornichons can be replaced with dill pickle.